• G20 GDP returns to pre-pandemic levels
• Bihar State in India revises death toll up by 75%
• Singapore to begin lifting restrictions next week
• Chiba Prefecture cancels plans for public Olympic viewing site
• Denmark lifts requirement to wear masks in most public spaces
• The OECD has said GDP in the G20 area returned to pre -pandemic levels in the first quarter of 2021, but with large differences across countries. The UK and Italy recorded the largest falls from pre -pandemic GDP levels, down 8.7% and 6.4% , respectively. Link Percentage change in GDP compared to pre -pandemic level ( 4Q19 vs 1Q21) Source: OECD
• A report by the EU’s Fundamental Rights Agency says: “The pandemic and the reactions it triggered exacerbated existing challenges and inequalities in all areas of life, especially affecting vulnerable groups. It also sparked an increase in racist incidents.
• The Czech health ministry has recommended that only people over 60 should receive vaccines from AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson due to a potential risk of blood clots.
• Spain’s health ministry has scrapped a nationwide plan to gradually reopen nightlife just a week after introducing it.
• The health department of Bihar State in India revised its total Covid -19 - related death toll today to more than 9,400 , from about 5,400 .
• The US is to donate 500m Pfizer vaccine doses to nearly 100 countries over the next two years.
• South Korea is considering plans to vaccinate workers at key businesses including chip and electronics firms to prevent disruptions to production, an official at the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency said today.
• Denmark will no longer mandate the use of masks in most public spaces and will allow 25,000 fans to attend European Championship matches in Copenhagen .
• Chiba Prefecture has cancelled plans for outdoor Olympic viewing site. Chiba Prefecture neighbours Tokyo, and is due to host four Olympic events – surfing, fencing, wrestling and taekwondo . -10 -8 -6 -4 -2 0 2 4 6 8 UK Italy Euro area Germany France Mexico South Africa Saudi Arabia OECD total Japan Canada US Indonesia Argentina Brazil Russia G20 Korea Australia India Turkey China % This report is prepared solely for the use of Maddie Albon Peel Hunt Coronavirus: Breaking news 10 Jun 10 June 2021 4
• Singapore is to start a phased easing of its restrictions. From Monday, authorities will allow up to five people to gather, up from two currently, and then from 21 June will allow restaurants to resume dine-in services if infections remain under control.
• Bulgaria is to lift the compulsory wearing of face masks in gyms, hairdressing salons, small shops and offices where all workers are vaccinated.
• Ukraine has reiterated that it will not allow foreigners vaccinated with the Russian Sputnik vaccine into the country if they do not also provide a negative test.