Coronavirus - 16 July
16 July 2021
• UK R0 number unchanged at 1.2-1.4
• LA brings back mask mandate in public spaces
• Canada to open borders to vaccinated travellers in September
• UK mental health referrals up 33% YoY
• Ukraine added to EU permitted travel list
• The UK’s R0 number was largely from at 1.2 -1.4; last week it was 1.2 -1.5.
• Abu Dhabi has announced a partial lockdown and new entry requirements in the Emirate, starting 19 July from midnight until 5 am.
• Staff at South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust have been asked to postpone holidays.
• The EU has added Ukraine to the list of countries from which travel is permitted, and removed Rwanda and Thailand.
• The Philippines has detected its first locally acquired cases of the Delta variant.
• Canada is set to open its borders to fully vaccinated travellers from all countries by September.
• Pavement dining and outdoor drinking licences will continue for another year in England.
• New data from the NHS show the number of referrals to child and adolescent mental health services in March 2021 was 65,533, double the number in March 2020 and 68% higher than March 2019. Total referral s in the year to March were 527,339, compared with 397,822 previously, a 33% YoY increase. Emergency referrals to crisis care teams for under 18s were 62% higher in March 2021 than the previous year.
• Hungary will offer the option of taking a third dose of a vaccine from 1 August, and will make vaccines mandatory for all healthcare workers.
• An ONS survey between 28 June and 3 July suggests that 89% of people “fully adhere” to what they are asked to do when they have to self-isolate.
• An estimated one in 95 people in England had Covid-19 in the week ending 10 July ; the previous week the figure was one in 160 , according to the ONS.
• West Midlands Railway has warned users to expect more short -notice cancellations , as the number of staff having to self -isolate has quadrupled .
• Los Angeles will return to mandatory mask wearing indoors, even for people who have been vaccinated .
• A member of Nigerian delegation to the Olympic Games in Japan has been hospitalised with Covid.
• The Eiffel Tower reopened today after an eight -month shutdown
• French authorities have said that masks are to be required in all public spaces indoors and out in the Pyrenées -Orientales department .